March 8, 2016 at 9:45 am #297City of Charlottesville- CompostingParticipant
NOTE: This information is available as a PDF as well. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it.
For the second consecutive year, the Charlottesville City Market will serve as a drop-off point for citizens to bring their food scraps, compostable food-related items such as paper towels, and certified compostable service-ware. Local non-profit GreenBlue will lead the effort. As part of this effort and to support the City’s sustainability goals, the City is working with GreenBlue to also divert market-generated waste from the landfill as much as possible through recycling and composting.
What is compostable?
- Any and all food scraps and vegetable matter (our commercial composter will accept meat, bones, and dairy)
- Uncoated paper like napkins, tissues, paper towels (wax paper is ok)
- Certified compostable cups, lids, straws, plates, bowls, trays, to-go containers, and utensils. *PLEASE NOTE items with recycled content, conventional paper cups and plates, and/or those called “biodegradable” are not the same as certified compostable. Look for the BPI certification label.
DISCOURAGED ITEMS (these are not currently recyclable or compostable in our area):
- Foam plates, clamshells and cups.
- Hot beverage cups and plastic-coated paper plates (they have a plastic lining unless certified compostable).
- Difficult to separate combinations, like a wax paper-aluminum foil combination or non-compostable plastic utensils + compostable plates.
SOURCES of COMPOSTABLE PACKAGING
- Special City Market Vendors’ Ordering Portal at http://www.zerowasteevents.com/events.html:
To support market vendors’ use of sustainable packaging, GreenBlue and Eco-products have set up this portal as an easy way to find certified-compostable materials at a competitive price.
Orders through this portal and the City Market Event area, will get a 15% discount and free shipping for anything over $99.
Special Code: Charlottesville2016@
- Commonly used compostable items available at Walmart and other retail stores:
- Compostable Ziplocs at http://scjgreenchoices.com/shop-by-brand/ziploc/
- All certified compostable packaging types are listed at http://www.bpiworld.org/
Email questions to email@example.com
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.